Here is the cost break down for the Amber Ale:
- American Yeast Ale: $7.00
- 7 lbs. Liquid Malt Extract (Amber): $13.65
- Cascade Hops (Alpha 7.0): $5.00
- Fuggle Hops (Alpha 4.5): $5.95
- 1 lb. Crystal Malt Grain (80L): $1.30
- 0.5 lb. Special Roast Malt Grain (50L): $0.50
Grand Total: $33.40. Spent for 5 gallons of beer. One gallon equals 128 ounces. Times five equals 640 ounces. Divided by 12 ounce bottles equals 54 bottles (rounded up). $33.40 / 54 = $0.62 cost per beer.*
Do you keep track of how much your beer costs per bottle?
* This doesn’t take into account the cost of caps, sanitizer, Irish Moss and Gypsum. These items raise the cost of the beer, but since I can use them for more than one batch I don’t count them.