It’s been about three years since I’ve been to Hanoi, Vietnam. This time, I was in Vietnam for a five day motorcycle ride with two amazing girlfriends.
In celebration of completing our ride, the minimal blood loss and the fact that we were all still going to be friends, we decided to check out a new brewery that opened up in 2017, Turtle Lake Brewing Company. Billed as Vietnam’s newest Craft Brew Pub, offering a great range of premium craft beers all brewed on site. It was a massive complex, with a great view of the water and some shade to rest post-ride.
Here is what we tried:
- Turtle Lake Helmet Boy Saison – Citrus and spice with orange peel, coriander and ginger. Locally sourced ingredients with notes of banana, cloves with a crispy finish. 8% ABV and 11 IBU. This was hands down my favorite beer that we tried. I loved that it has local ingredients!
- Turtle Lake Head Up Red Ale w/ Kumquat – Citrus and malty with kumquat, notes of dark fruits and raisins. 8% ABV and 23 IBU.
- Turtle Lake Hanoi Garden – American wheat ale beer style, fruity and wheat flavor, Cascade hops. 4% ABV and 6 IBU. This was my second favorite beer of the night. I had a full pint of this because it was so good.
- Turtle Lake Ho Tay VPA – Pine forward full bodied with Amarillo, Citra, and Saarz hops. Aromatic at 5.6% ABV and 22 IBU.
- Turtle Lake Mango Smoothie – Perfect combination of real mango juice and vanilla flavor, lacoste sugar also makes the beer have a sweet aftertaste. 7.2% ABV and 23 IBU. This is actually a beer – not a smoothie, which confused some people in our group…
Have you ever been to Turtle Lake Brewing in Hanoi? Or any other breweries in Vietnam?