Recently, I attended Ecliptic Brewing’s release party of their Espacio Mexican-Style Lager. The beer was amazing. Like a fancied up Corona, the amount of lime was pretty good. Just enough to be noticeable. It went really well with the tacos that were offered at the release party. Espacio is a classic light lager, I would definitely appreciate a cold can of it on a good, hot day. However, sometimes, Portland’s grey weather is not fashionably appropriate for a Mexican lager.
Since I’m a baker, I draw inspiration from almost anything around me. The Espacio was no different. After the release party, I went home and created a custom cookie that would go great with a can of Espacio on a good, hot day. The recipe is below for you to try yourself. The hint of chili adds to the lime already in the Espacio.
- 3/4 C butter (room temp) if butter is salted omit 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 C powdered sugar
- 1 large egg (room temp)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 C flour
- 3/4 C cocoa powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp chili powder (or to taste)
- Sift flour, salt, cocoa, cinnamon, chili powder together.
- Beat butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add vanilla and egg to butter mixture, scrape bowl and mix until combined
- Slowly add dry ingredients until combined. Dough should pull off the sides of the bowl and stick to itself. If the dough sticks to sides it may be too wet, add some flour (little at a time). If the dough is crumbly it is too dry, add little bits of milk or egg white to moisten it.
- Press into large flat disc, wrap in plastic wrap and chill in fridge for at least 30 min.
- Roll out to 1/4” thickness between two pieces of parchment or wax paper (using more flour can overwork the dough) cut out desired shapes and bake on parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- Make sure cutouts are at least a half inch apart.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 14 minutes and let cool completely before decorating.
What is a beer you love that you would like to see a custom cookie for? Leave a comment below and share your thoughts.