What are you doing this weekend? Well, if you are in Portland, you should join me and the Froommates at the North American Organic Brewers Festival (NAOBF) 2014! Our crew is planning on being there Friday evening to kick off the festivities and chances are we’ll be showing up throughout the weekend.
In addition to hanging out with awesome people. NAOBF is going to be setting up flat screen TVs to show the World Cup and the Portland Timbers game on Friday. Now you really don’t have an excuse not to join n the fun. Football and beer, what a great combination.
Need some more reasons? Here are some fun facts about organic brewing and NAOBF:
The organic beer category has been trending upward for the past 10 years. According to the Organic Trade Association, U.S. organic beer sales more than quadrupled from $9 million to $41 million between 2003 and 2009. Figures since that time have increased at a substantial rate: U.S. organic beer sales in 2009 were $41 million, up 11.7 percent from 2008; 2010 sales were $46 million; 2011 sales were $53 million; 2012 sales were $66 million; and 2013 sales were $79 million, up 19 percent over 2012 (Organic Trade Association).
This year, we have 40 breweries and cideries that have invested in brewing organic; some year-round, others just for this event. These companies have made a commitment to brewing sustainably to do their part for the planet. The timing couldn’t be better. Studies show that humanity is increasingly living beyond its means, currently consuming 50% more natural resources than the Earth’s ecosystems can replenish. (Okay, that fact isn’t so fun.)
10th year of the festival: began in 2003 at Port Halling in Gresham; took a two-year hiatus; started back up in 2006 at the World Forestry Center; moved to Overlook Park in 2007; this will be the eighth year at Overlook Park. (1301 N Fremont St, Portland, OR 97227 – The Interstate MAX/Yellow Line “Overlook Park” Station is directly across from Overlook Park and is the second stop from the Rose Quarter transit mall, heading north.
• 58 products: 53 craft beers and five handcrafted ciders
• 40 participating breweries/cideries
• 4 states represented: California, Oregon, Washington & Wisconsin
• Twp countries represented: United States & Germany
• More than two dozen styles represented
• Highest alcohol product: Reverend Nat’s Hard Cider, at 8.6%
• Highest alcohol beer: Ambacht Brewing G++ Ale at 8.5%
• Lowest alcohol beer: PINTS Bio-liner Weisse at 2.8%
• 24 of the products are 100% organic, containing all organic ingredients, 20 of the products are “organic,”
containing at least 95% organic ingredients; and 14 of the products are “made with organic ingredients” or
• 17 of the products are certified organic
• Number of volunteers at the festival: 700+
• Number of anticipated attendees: 15,000
• Number of recycling stations: 7
• Carbon footprint: In 2013, the event kept 92% of more than 2,000 pounds of waste generated from going
into the landfill; the total garbage weight was only 171 lbs. for the four day event (the year before, it was
175 lbs over three days).
What makes a beer “organic”?
100% Organic – The product contains all organic ingredients (no non-organic ingredients are used) and any processing aids used must be organic. The product may contain the USDA Seal and must list the organic certification agent.
Organic – The product contains at least 95% organic ingredients. The remaining 5% can be non-organic allowed ingredients. All agricultural ingredients used must be organic unless not available. The product may contain the USDA Seal and must list the organic certification agent.
Made with Organic Ingredients – The product contains at least 70% organic ingredients. The remaining 30% can be non-organic allowed ingredients OR non-organic agricultural ingredients. The product may not contain the USDA Seal but must list the organic certification agent.
Are you going to the NAOBF? What your favorite organic beer? (Mine is Fish Brewery’s Fish Tale Organic.) What beers are you hoping to try?